Friday, September 3, 2010

Irish Wedding- commission by Roxanne Steed



14"x18" oil on Belgian linen

"If you do not have a vision, nothing happens."
- Christopher Reeve



Today's painting is "Irish Wedding" and is a 14"x18" oil on Belgian linen stretched canvas. This was a particularly fun commission - as it came from a collector who had previously bought one of my Valentia Island, Ireland paintings...it was a landscape scene- and it just happened that her grandmother had lived in that same area- on the same road! That was pretty thrilling for me to hear her story of her visits with her grandmother. Now, two years later, her daughter was recently married over there on Valentia Island- and she asked me to paint this as a gift for the newlyweds! Of course I'm thrilled! After seeing all the wedding photos of these familiar places....I felt a bit like I had been there (and secretly wishing I had been - it was lovely!). My best wishes to the adorable couple...and heart-felt thank-yous to the mom who had me collaborate with her on a special gift for them.

For CT & nearby art lovers: - If you happen to live in CT- or aren't too far (NY, MA etc)- you still have some time left (through Sept 19th) to see a wonderful show at the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme. "Connecticut Treasures: Works from Private Collections" far exceeded my expectations. The 'Flo-Gris' always puts on a good show- and while my mom was visiting last week, we spent one rainy day visiting the exhibit. I went with the intentions of seeing their new acquisition - a Willard Metcalf painting, "Kalmia". I had gotten hooked on Metcalf's works from a prior exhibit they had of his work in 2005. And yes- I loved it! My surprise at the show was finding an artist whose works I had never heard of....one of those moments when you round the corner, look across the room & BOOM- you're socks are knocked off! When you spend a lot of time looking at really great art - it sometimes takes a lot to make you draw in a breath- and exhale with the long....wowwwww. "Who is this artist?" is the next thing that pops into my head - "The Broken Wall" c.1926 was painted by Wilson Henry Irvine....and this was the painting that had such an effect on me. Owned by George M. Yeager, it is to be donated to the museum's permanent collection. I felt a big surge of gratitude for George....this guy who I had never met, but suddenly felt like I owed a big thank-you for his generous and beautiful gift!

Hey - I just checked their web-site - and Sept. 14-19th is 'free week' to all New London county residents!! It's exit 70 right off of the I-95, Tues-Sat. 10am-5pm and Sun. 1pm-5pm.

Welcome to my latest new subscribers! I do hope you enjoy the paintings, photos & stories! I always love hearing comments from my readers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...