Thursday, September 16, 2010

Filmore Street Sun and Shadow



8"x6" oil on Belgian linen mounted on archival board


"Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you."
- Maori Proverb



The third painting on Friday during my Chincoteague Paint-out last week-end:

I headed over to a 'hidden garden' on Filmore Street belonging to Theresa Bulgher. Filmore St. is a tiny narrow street off of Church Street that edges along a canal on one side. Colorful little beach cottages line each side and lush, interesting gardens with just a touch of "wildness" to them. There was quite a bit to choose from in any direction, but a bit of picket fence caught my eye. If you've followed my blog & paintings for any length of time, you know how I love these in a garden! Combine that with an interesting dose of sun & shadow and I knew exactly what I was after. AND another crepe myrtle still in bloom, too!

Several artists were already painting here in various little nooks & crannies of the garden- all of us with quite different views in mind. One, who claimed not to be a 'landscape painter' but a still life painter, found many paintings in this area that day! I always find it fascinating that you can turn 40 artists loose on an island and have sooo many different, amazing views! Just the thought of that makes me smile!

This painting came together so nicely! What an enjoyable spot to stand and paint, under the shade of large trees, with great views in any direction. By this point, it was 1pm and time for lunch.

This painting sold during our exhibit & sale last weekend...sorry if you missed the show - it was a lot of fun and I know you would have enjoyed it!! There's always next year....and following along with my blog! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...