Sunday, January 16, 2011

oil landscapes, water and trees by BECKY JOY

I didn't post much this last week, but honest I was busy. There are several shows with deadlines in Jan. I had to finish some pieces to submit to the shows.  I don't want to post those that I submitted. Some of the shows require that the pieces have never been shown anywhere. Now I don't know if that means my website, the internet or FB, but I'll play it safe, just in case someone is out there checking on  postings.

I've been working really hard lately and have been taking an online workshop from Camille Przewodek. The prerequisite to taking the online workshop is that you had to be in a previous color bootcamp workshop. Anyway, I did that last spring. Each week, I would go out and do at least two plein airs, then email the starts to the paintings, the end results and a photo of the site. Camille said she was trying to get me to a new level. I really felt good about the workshop. Not everything was successful, but then I tried things that I had trouble with and knew I would learn from.  I felt like I really learned a lot, but need to take a break and get back to business for a while. I am definitely going to take another workshop from her. Her approach to painting really resonated with me.

This painting is an 18x24 studio painting that I worked on yesterday and today. I was happy with the results. I'll live with it for a while and see what I think.

This was my last plein air that I painted in the workshop. After talking to Camille, I lightened the hill in the background and grayed the greens of the background trees and simplified. I have a tendency to start picking at the colors in the background, breaking up the large shapes. Overall, I was pleased with this one. The other two are in the garbage. I wasn't excited about what I was painting and it showed. She told me to stick to painting what I was "jazzed" about. I know that, what was I thinking? Or was I?

Just a couple of more days with big paintings, then I'll paint some small ones.

Talk to you all later.

Becky Joy

beckyjoy@beckyjoy.com
www.beckyjoy.com
www.beckyjoy.com/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...