Sunday, July 28, 2013

KISS by Pamela Blaies

Green Grapes
5" x 7"
oil on linen panel

The elegant shape of this bunch of grapes is what drew me to them. The long stem just adds to the charm. I challenged myself to find the right balance between detail and abstraction so that they would remain convincing, but not too literal. Starting with a large flat bristle brush (size 10), I painted an abstract underpainting - pretty much simple color shapes. Right away I could tell I liked the flow of the shapes on the canvas. I went to a size 6 mongoose flat brush and added a little more detail, being careful to step back often to see it from afar. Then I got my knife out to work on the stem and highlights. Such a simple composition, but it is probably my favorite piece this month!  BTW - I translate KISS as "Keep it Simple Silly" stupid is a bad word in our house:)

I love to share my art and inspiration. Click HERE to sign up for my email newsletter and receive a free gift of postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...