Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Preparation makes Perfect by Pamela Blaies

Value Drawing

Color Study
8" x 11"

Today, I'm sharing my preparation routine for most of my larger paintings. First I do a rough drawing to finalize composition and establish value (darks and lights.) Then I will usually do a quick color study to make sure of the colors and how they work together. This new painting I am working on is really fun. I went to visit my dear friend in Stephenville, Texas, and got to spend some time with her and her precious kids. When I saw the beautiful light coming in through the wall-to-wall windows of their sitting room, I knew I had to paint it. I'm not sure if either of them can read music at all, but they sure had fun pretending to be virtuosos for me.  Tomorrow I'll post the final painting.

I love to share my art and inspiration. Click HERE to sign up for my email newsletter and receive a free gift of postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...