Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hay Bale at Mid-day by Janice Tingum

Hay Bale at Mid-day
 by Janice Tingum
Acrylic on Cradled Panel
8" x 8" x 0.875"


In this painting, I used a combination of brush and palette knife work. The sky was laid in with a palette knife. I then switched to a brush to paint the background. I returned to the palette knife and blocked in major color shapes on the bale and the foreground. 

While I often like to create thick, textural effects when I paint with oils, in my recent acrylic paintings I've been using the palette knife to blend and smooth layers of paint. I let the first layer dry (which doesn't take long with acrylics) and then dab on another color. Working quickly, I gently smooth the new layer of paint over the first layer with the palette knife. I try to allow some of the prior layer to still show through, giving an impressionistic feel to the piece.

*****
I like to experiment with different painting products and techniques. If you'd like to learn about painting on YUPO synthetic paper, check out my e-book:



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...