Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Far and Away, Large Marshland Painting by Roxanne Steed



30"x30" oil on 2" deep cradled panel


"Nature is my medicine." -Sara Moss-Wolfe


This painting was one I've wanted to do for a long while now. I have spent so much time working plein air, and in a lot of different sizes. But I have wanted to take one of my smaller/medium sized works and turn it into a much larger painting. Finally doing this enabled me to verbalize the feelings behind some of what I love to paint.

I love to walk/hike around coastal marshlands (all up the whole Atlantic coast). I've always found a fascination with the large abstract shapes of land and water. And, it is wonderfully quiet in any season, just the sounds of nature about you.....and everything else "gets out of your head". I always feel calm, yet invigorated after a hike through these spaces. I wanted this large painting to give the viewer a feeling of being able to walk into that space... to clear their head, the way I do when I go to the woods and marshes.


And while I'll continue to paint plein air as long as the weather allows it, I'm looking forward to painting the next BIG one! Once the paint is dry on this, I'll be taking it outside for a better photograph in natural light.


These cradled panels are quite beautiful as the edges are wood. Once the painting is dry, I'll be staining these edges to deepen the wood tones. For more information about this painting, please contact Roxanne here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...