Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Peonies In Asian Pottery by Roxanne Steed



8"x6" oil on Belgian linen mounted on archival panel

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are
the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
- Marcel Proust


Many years back, as a Navy wife stationed in Virginia Beach, I met a fantastic gardener. She had the most wonderful 'cottage garden' and on top of that, she worked for a florist who bought many of the blooms in her yard! They were special things that not many other florists carried...or could get at all. Now I was a newbie in the neighborhood garden club, trying to learn what would grow in the latest environment I had been transferred to. This amazing gardener had invited us all over to tour her garden....and upon finding out I was a painter, I was invited back to paint whenever I wanted! Oh what a treat!

Fast forward to the future...we have retired from the Navy, and have settled in Mystic, CT....and are in the second summer of our own cottage garden. Dear hubby does most all the heavy duty grunt work (like tilling up those CT potatoes...ie- rocks). But I frequently do some 'therapeutic' weeding to keep up appearances!

Ever since I had seen peonies in this fabulous little garden in Virginia Beach, I knew one day (when we quit moving around), I'd be growing those too! AND cutting some for my own arrangements without the trip to the florist! They are such luscious flowers. Many thanks to Cristin Larson, aka The Garden Consultant for helping us choose hardy varieties of plants that make this place look like Monet's dream! And thanks to my husband for tilling up the ground to plant these peonies!

To purchase with Paypal or by check, contact me:

Peonies In Asian Pottery

About This Painting:
Here's what's currently blooming in my garden. It's nice to have enough to cut & bring inside to my studio for painting!

Media: oil on Belgian linen mounted on professional artboard
Size: 6 in X 8 in (15.2 cm X 20.3 cm)

How to Purchase:
send me an email

2 comments:

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...