Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Summer Relief" by Kristin Jurist Haakenson

"Summer Relief" by Kristin Jurist Haakenson
acrylic on canvas / 24" x 12"
$525 unframed or $650 framed
Available for purchase through Freshwater Studio & Gallery, Dillon, MT (contact)

Sketching this moose prior to painting him was my first foray into the world of moose-drawing. They're beautiful creatures - I love those big goofy grins and huge noses. I remember being in the Grand Tetons once with my parents when I was young...we were hiking and spotted a moose calf no more than 20 feet away from us, just off the trail. Its mother was close by, eyeing us suspiciously and ready to trample us if need be. It was really quite an impressive encounter, and I gained a lot of healthy respect for those big animals. And here's my little nod to them: a bull moose getting some relief from the summer heat.

I used my new iridescent pearl paint for this one. It's particularly noticeable when the light hits it from different angles. The textured background was created by applying paint with palette knives.


Kristin Jurist Haakenson

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...