Monday, September 20, 2010

The Littlest Bar, Province Street Boston, by Ann Gorbett

The Littlest Bar, Province Street Boston
Oil with a palette knife on cradled artist board
14" x 11" x .75"

You might be wondering about the emphasis of the bright red window in the bottom right of this painting. Well, that is what used to be "The Littlest Bar". This Irish Pub, truly the littlest bar you've ever seen, closed it's doors a few years ago, but I just read recently that they opened a newer, and not so little bar in the Financial District not too far from this original location. Here is a portion of an article about it closing its doors.

When I took the photo I used for my reference, I peered into the window only to see stacks of boxes. The new owner is apparently using it for storage. The entire street has gone through quite a transformation. That building to the right of it is full of high rise condos. I so love the juxtaposition of old and new that you see all around Boston. I sure hope they come to their senses soon and do something interesting with this space. I mean, they gave it a fresh coat of bright red paint after all. I was glad to see they kept it intact.

Here is a close up of the only part of the painting that has people. You can see that it's only a few strokes that define the woman diners. I saved that part for last and had fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...