Monday, January 28, 2013

Take Flight Purple Pansies by Texas Flower Artist Nancy Medina


Take Flight Purple Pansies
by Nancy Medina
12X12
Palette Knife/Oil on Gallery Wrap Canvas


My winter garden is a bit meager, but a few pansies are determined to make their appearance and have survived two small snowfalls. I love their whimsical, ruffley edges. I began this painting with a completely transparent underpainting in yellows and greens, and then built my clay pot with Transparent Oxide Red. I used my dry paper towel to lift out highlight areas, and then shaped the pansies with brush and palette knife. The last step was laying in the bright opaque greens and the blue sky peeping through to give the flowers light and air. After a day with overcast gray skies, it felt like time for some bright color!


Pansies with the models on the back porch

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...