Sunday, July 3, 2011

PLEIN AIR TIPS AND PAINTING BY TOM BROWN





During my Plein Air Workshops beginning next Saturday we will paint at a variety of inspiring locations.

We will paint on the beach at the ocean, with cliffs and palm trees rising above the pounding surf. And from a hilltop we will paint the panoramic splendor of distant mountain ranges.

But Plein Air paintings can also be inspired by something as simple as the beauty of a lone tree like this. I wanted to capture the off-balance way it leaned downhill. And the variety of soft greens brought out by the light. For this little 6x8-inch painting, that was enough.

During my workshop we may focus on stunning scenes some times and simple things like this at other times. I always try to give students a wide variety of options and subjects for painting.

And I always choose easy-to-reach locations that have convenient parking and restrooms so students can enjoy their experience to the fullest.

I even demonstrate ways new students can try their hand at outdoor painting without spending money on things like a French easel or other expensive equipment.

One example is the simple pizza box shown here that functions as a laptop easel.

I used this during the filming of one of my TV shows. I fastened my canvas to the lid and spread out my paints in the bottom. It served as an easel while I painted, and when the painting was complete I simply closed the box to safely transport it home.

Give it a try some time. Take a few friends and go for a picnic at your local park. With this pizza box setup you can try your hand at Plein Air painting and see what all the excitement is about.

Have a great day, and thanks for stopping to look.
Tom
tombrownstudio@cox.net

Check my eBay auctions too, if you get the chance:
http://shop.ebay.com/tombrownfineart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of the Pizza Box, will try it soon! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...