Sunday, October 3, 2010

california plein air show and workshop by BECKY JOY

This is an 8x10 plein air oil. I woke up after dawn, looked out my window and saw this view. The hills were just ablaze with wonderful rich colors. I hurried up, showered, got dressed and went painting.
I awoke almost every morning this past week at dawn and was out there painting when the sun was coming over the mountains, but this morning I was winding down and slept in a little later. Because of that I saw a different view, the hills were already lit with the morning sun. I have posted this painting on my website along with other plein air paintings from the week. http://www.beckyjoy.com/


This 9x12 plein air is another view from the house that I stayed at. The light streamed over each of the hills then hit the field at the bottom of the valley. I was so mesmerized by this view and the light coming from the sun that I almost missed the other view. This piece sold at the show. Overall, I felt that the show went very well for me. I'm happy with what I sold and with the paintings that I created. At least most of them. There are a few that were good learning tools. Next time, I'll have more knowledge from those failures or at the least, not complete successes.

Below is a photo of my paint set up with the view of the quickdraw behind it. The finished painting in the quickdraw was auctioned off afterward. I originally started painting the big blue work trucks with the orange ladders. They had the cones out, so I thought they would be there for a while. Not so, I had to wipe them out, because I didn't have enough information. It was panic for a little while when I had to refocus and have a new focal point, but I think I recovered reasonably well. I noticed that my drawing was a little off after wiping off. I have too much of a slant from left down to the right. I guess that is one of the things I need to watch more next time.

I'll be leaving for home tomorrow morning, rest and wash clothes for a couple days, then I head up to northern AZ to pinetop to paint the aspens. That should be a nice change of pace with the fall colors on the aspens. So, I'll have to sort through all of this. Then I'll be posting some fall pictures later this week. Talk to you all later.

I still have space in my 3 day plein air workshops Oct 21,22 & 23 in Phoenix. Email me if you are interested. beckyjoy@beckyjoy.com

BECKY JOY
http://beckyjoyartist.blogspot.com/
http://www.beckyjoy.com/
beckyjoy@beckyjoy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...