Tuesday, September 2, 2014

High Line View NYC by Janice Tingum

High Line View NYC
by Janice Tingum
oil on panel
9"x12"


I tried out Gamblin's Fastmatte Alkyd Oil Colors for this painting and loved it. I started by brushing on an acrylic underpainting to block in the major shapes and colors. From there I switched to my palette knife and the oil paints. Except for a few small details at the very end, I used the oil paint in its original consistency without diluting it with mediums or mineral spirits. With the fast-drying properties of the paint, I was able to go into recently painted areas rather quickly to add additional color and details.

Despite the fast-drying paint, a lot of time went into this painting (not to mention the trip from North Dakota to New York City where I spotted this scene). Both the trip and the experience of painting this contemporary urban landscape were a lot of fun. I hope you discover some of that joy in the painting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...