Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"uncloudy day" - a palette knife painting by Dottie T Leatherwood

uncloudy day
16" x 20" oil on canvas
©2011 DottieLeatherwood
-------------------------------------------
A little bit of water, a little bit of marsh and a whole lot of blue sky. The landscape of a marsh is nothing but a series of horizontals, which I love, but to make the painting more interesting there needs to be a vertical element somewhere. I used the layered yellows, greens and blues of the sky as my vertical element to bring your eye up through the painting.

And now a little story.... As I was painting this, a song kept running through my head. When I was growing up, my dad (a very colorful character) would often sing loudly when he was in a good mood, much to my brother and my dismay. The problem was his repertoire consisted of the refrain of only a handful of songs. So we got to hear the same ones over and over. Needless to say, as children of the 70's we had never heard any of his favorites and were convinced that he had just made them up. His number one go-to refrain was "Oh, they tell me of an uncloudy day". He wore that one out. I will never forget the Sunday my brother and I, teenagers at the time, were at my grandmother's little country church and as we stood up to sing....the preacher announced "please turn in your hymnal to ..."Uncloudy Day". We were stunned! It was a real song after all! Who knew? I have since grown to appreciate Willie Nelson's version of the song but I still think my dad sang the refrain best and with the most enthusiasm! My dad died over 10 years ago but the sound of him singing still runs through my head several times a day. I like to think it's his way of reminding me that he's still around.
-------------------------------------
To see more of my work please check out my website:
www.dottietleatherwood.com
or sign up to receive my daily painting blog:
http://dottietleatherwood.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...