Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"A Moment's Rest" by Kristin Jurist Haakenson


"A Moment's Rest" by Kristin Jurist Haakenson
acrylic on canvas
24" x 36" x 1.5"
$1100 + $45 shipping (contact)

I've been using a different method lately when I paint. To build up the impasto layers, I would normally mix pigments into an acrylic matte gel. I would then apply that wonderfully frosting-like paint to the canvas with palette knives, and, after letting the impasto layer of paint dry, I would add a bit of brushwork with thin glazes. I've been using more and more brushwork on top of the impasto layers over the past several months, so I've been accordingly changing the process a bit.

For this painting, and for most of my other recent work, I've been starting off each piece by applying a thin layer of pigment to the canvas with a brush. I then apply acrylic matte gel only (no pigment added); I move it around on the canvas with palette knives, and my intent in doing so has been to create more motion in the image. Once the thick gel layer has dried, I apply thin washes of pigment. These washes interact with the original background color, which has been softened and muted by the semi-transparent matte gel. I don't go through pigment nearly as quickly as I used to, and playing with the matte gel in its non-colored state allows for a lot of creativity.

Joni Mitchell's "Night Ride Home" album has been my painting music of choice, lately. I've been listening to it nonstop.

Nature, I would be thy child,
Sit and worship at thy feet;
Read the truth upon thy face,
Wait upon thine accent sweet:
I would put my hand in thine,
Bow my head upon thy knee,
Live upon thy love alone,
Fearless, trusting all to thee.
-Mary Morgan, "To Nature"

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...