Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Radiance - Original Palette Knife poppy painting by Nithya Swaminathan

I was in a dilemma whether to do poppies in groups or focus on individual flowers. Then decided that I will do them bigger focussing on the different forms than do a group. I had done poppy fields earlier anyway. One thing that I love about the poppy is that it's texture resembles crumpled paper. And I do not mean the feel of touching it, as I haven't touched one, but the appearance. It oozes texture and screams to be painted up close. Perfect for working with the knife. And do I need to even mention that red mesmerizes me like nothing else can? The various reds give me a high every time I work, no wonder a collection of my work looks like a big mass of red with hardly any other color to see.
Textured poppy painting in palette knife
Radiance
Acrylics on board, 5 by 7 inches
© Nithya Swaminathan




This entire series of poppies uses the same palette - Cadmium Red, Cadmium Deep Red, Alizarin Crimson, Buff Titanium and Lemon Yellow. A little bit of Titanium white occasionally. So lured I was with the warm palette that I have done about 30 of them in no time. I love how they look together, so much that I was ogling at the collection on my table. Tried to take a combined photo of all paintings together but they did not fit in :) Let me post them one by one and do let me know what you think. There are a lot many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...