Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Boylston Street Boston palette knife painting by Ann Gorbett

Lunch on Boylston Street
Oil with a palette knife on cradled artist board
12" x 9" x 1.5"
Click on the image to enlarge

Another in my series of city scenes. This one of Boylston Street in the Back Bay area of Boston. I like the juxtaposition of the old and new architecture that makes Boston so unique. I had fun adding dabs of people walking by and eating at the restaurant in the bottom left corner. 

Artist Natasa Vretenar has asked in a previous post if I could share what type of palette knives I use. I mostly use these detail knives I purchased through Dick Blick. They have soft, rubber handles and are great for making a variety of marks. And they are the same ones that appear on the page from their Fall 2010 catalog where my painting is featured. I think it would be interesting to hear about what types of knives other palette knife artists use. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about the palette knives and for sharing your beautiful paintings with us here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann - I am really enjoying your city paintings. I use the plastic palette knives most of the time because they have a nice give to them and are inexpensive to replace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann! - I'm loving all these postings on this new blog- and really love the city-scapes you're posting! Thanks for talking about the various knives you use, too! I always find it interesting the various tools we artists use to 'make our mark'! Each person's is so distinctive!

    ReplyDelete

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...