Saturday, May 18, 2013

"Where Oh Where" Abstract, Palette Knife Landscapes by California Janet Bludau


12" x 12"
Oil
$250
I recently came back from a really enjoyable 4 day workshop by Marla Baggetta, a Portland based artist.  Marla's medium is primarily soft pastels but she uses a lot of acrylics also.  I found a kindred spirit:  I get teased about how many paths I paint and here was someone else who sure does paint a lot of paths!  I came home and painted this on board with oil, instead of paper with soft pastels.  Our "styles" are different.  She has a beautiful, loose, free way with her work.  That is also one of the reasons I wanted to learn from her.  I am always wanting to loosen up, as are most artists I know.  Its wonderful to incorporate a few new techniques or, what I have especially liked are the words that come to me from prior classes.  "What If" came to me with this piece and I started scraping  the blue paint back to the red.  At the end of the day though, when you line a group of paintings up, you will most likely know which painting belongs to which painter.  Mine typically have that contemporary, angular style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...